[Savannah-register-public] [task #7656] Submission of gmailreader

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7656] Submission of gmailreader
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:36:18 +0000

"I was under the impression I could use any gpl-compatible license to license
code that uses GPL'd software. Isn't that so? I couldn't see how I'd be
contradicting GPL in any point. Could you please show me which section doesn't
allow me to license my software with the modified BSD license? I'm far from
being a lawyer, so I'm probably missing something."

You can release each file separately under a compatible license, though the
application as a whole is under the GNU GPL. So the project as a whole needs
to be released as such, with a copy of the GPL license, plus a standard
license statement (in a README file for example), explaining among others
which versions of the GNU GPL are concerned.

It would be misleading to release your project under just the BSD license
with any mention of the GNU GPL, because what end-users get is a GPL'd
project.

"I don't intend to upload any parts of libgmail to savannah, I do want to
have an external link with it, though. Is that ok?"

Yep.

Do you plan to have people download your modified version separately?