[Savannah-register-public] [task #7345] Submission of DBE Sovix Diet

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7345] Submission of DBE Sovix Diet
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:17:11 +0000

Sorry I didn't see that you added attachements. It is better to directly ask
your questions using the "Post a Comment" field, instead of attaching HTML
pages ;)

If you want to include the software and the data in a distribution such as
gNewSense, data need to be free according to the Free Software Definition
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) (in the case of gNewSense, this
will depend on a similar document which is the Debian Free Software Guidelines
or DSFG).

I cannot check each of the data source and determine the licence they use.
You need to contact the copyright holders of each data source, and ask them
under what terms you can use them. I then can provide limited advice about
whether this is compatible with the FSD.

For example, the Insulin index says page "This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United
States License.". This means that modified versions are not allowed, so this
is not free (not compatible with the Free Software Definition).

Note that using a free license is different than being "in public domain".
When a work is in the public domain, there is not copyright attached to it.
When the work is under a free license, it remains copyrighted by its authors,
and the license must give you the 4 degrees of freedom from the FSD (if not,
that's not a free license).

I let you check the license of the data sources. Feel free to ask further
questions here.