[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #7122] Submission of AKFAvatar

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #7122] Submission of AKFAvatar
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:20:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 09:06:21PM +0200, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:
> Am Friday, dem 17. Aug 2007 schrieb Sylvain Beucler:
>

> > Update of task #7122 (project administration):

> >              Open/Closed:                    Open => Closed
> >
> >     _______________________________________________________
> >
> > Follow-up Comment #1:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please add the missing copyright and license notices for the files that
> > don't
> > have it (utilities, C-struct graphics, etc.).
> >
> > Nevertheless I approved your project, please do that before uploading the
> > source code at Savannah.
>
> I must admit that I'm really still puzzeled about the notice requirements.
> Most files are IMHO too trivial to require a notice and I don't
> find such notices in other packages.
> In this project I use files of other packages and I assume that the
> license of the whole package applies... correct? See the file AUTHORS
> for the copyright notices.
>
> Well I've added some Public Domain notices for some of my own files.
> Nevertheless it would be nice if you could have a look at it again
> and tell me, what is still needed...

When you deem the file trivial, or better said non-copyrightable, it's
ok not to include notices. When it's a file format that accepts
comments, it's best to embed notices in the files. If it's a file
format that does not accept comments, it's ok to put them in a
separate file like you did.

When a project releases files without notice, there's an ambiguity;
that's why we recommend to always add notices.

Sometimes you can take it as an implicit decision from the author (I
base this answer on
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InterpreterIncompat: "2. If
you wrote and released the program under the GPL, and you designed it
specifically to work with those facilities, people can take that as an
implicit exception permitting them to link it with those
facilities. But if that is what you intend, it is better to say so
explicitly."). Graphics are in most case independent from the project,
so better ask.

--
Sylvain
NB: I'm not a lawyer :)