[Savannah-register-public] [task #5553] Submission of XennoBB

From: Steven Robson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5553] Submission of XennoBB
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 20:07:40 +0000

You need to place a README in the folders containing binary files. These
README files should contain the full copyright notice and permission to copy
headers, just like your php files do, except starting with something like
"All PNG files in this directory and its subdirectories are subject to the
following license notice". (you probably want to adapt this though).

If the menu.js file is released under the "License of Netscape Javascript",
then you should include a copy of the full license, just like for the LGPL
file you have. The file header is not totally clear, which is why I thought
that it was non-free. It is fine to include it.

However, overlib_min.js is not free software. Using it means that your
program cannot be used on a wholly free system, and we cannot include it in
Savannah for this reason. If you remove it, and do not use it in your
project, then we could consider your project for inclusion. (Your project
must not use or depend on it for it to be included on Savannah).

The Magpie RSS parser, and phpthumb code are not released unambiguously under
the GNU GPL version X or later.

The reason for this is that when we publish GPL v3, it will be important for
all GPL-covered programs to advance to GPL v3. If you don't put this in the
files now, the only way to port your program to GPL v3 would be to ask each
and every copyright holder, and that may be very difficult.

If you were able to contact the authors, to clarify this point, then you
could include that code in your project. (Note that it would be perfectly
acceptable for your project to depend on these files, rather than include
them).

Also, the FSF address in the Snoopy.class.inc file is still incorrect.

Finally, changing the license of XennoBB would not solve any of the problems
that we are currently facing, and would mean that you would have to change
all the license notices. It would also be difficult, as the original code you
are basing XennoBB on is GPL.

Regards.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5553>