[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #5527] Submission of Ethiopia Free

From: TG
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #5527] Submission of Ethiopia Free software Localisation
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 03:23:47 +0200

Hi

I am not sure what you mean when you say "use tracker item". I have
replied on the message you sent me which sends to
address@hidden which obviously you did not get.

For your second question to mention few off my works

1.  I am the one who originally translated poedit and still maintains
the translation for Amharic iso-code am at
http://www.poedit.org/translations.php

2. I am the sysop and since I started the only maintainer of the
Amharic wiktionary at
http://am.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%8B%8B%E1%8A%93_%E1%8C%88%E1%8C%BD
and actively partcipate on maintenance of wikipedia. In fact I who
started the first page and I am happy that to day though few people
come to check on it participate.

3. At Rosetta Amharic translation
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+lang/am I am actually the
only active translator.

4. I translated the kipot Amharic site at http://www.it46.se/kipot/am/?lid=am

5. I participate on translation of google interface.

6. I am one of the registered translators for Mozilla products though
due to lack coordination space we still have not produced any result.

This are few of the projects I am participating.

3rd question.
I believe it is the GNU free document licence that I should use but I
believe i did not see that option on the application form. Any way
that could be changed as per your suggestion.

4th. I do contribute to projects and I intend to continue to
contribute. But that contribution will remain to be one mans effort.
To achieve a complete operative system with all the necessary programs
and tools for a languages (which Amharic do not have yet) needs a lot
of people and coordination. The site at savana is needed to do that.
To bring links to different tools and documentation so that new
translators could have a readily available resources to start their
translation. We even yet to develop computer terms standard glossary.
There are several attempts by individuals scattered on the Internet
which have no coordination.
I believe the 4th question is raised because your experience is with a
well established languages which have a readily available resources,
glossaries, references...etc. Any one who is interested to translate a
program or a tool in one of this established languages does not need
to create a web site. But in Amharic case we have near to none such
tools and resources. The resources that are available also are on
private individuals control who have little desire to collaborate.
That is why we need a resource site that is freely available, when
individuals are incapable of contributing that can be transferred to
others who are capable, that can be there as long as an alternative,
permanent and accessible to all site is created.
Though I would like it to be more than just a site for collection of
links a German gnu translation site at
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/germanwebtrans/ is what I and my
friends have in our mind.

I hope this answers your questions.

Please do contact me if you need further information.

tegegne tefera