[Savannah-register-public] [task #5514] Submission of man - The man page

From: anonymous
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5514] Submission of man - The man page suite
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 21:18:16 +0000

> At first, what do you mean with "Redirection"?

Currently, the project is hosted at Ximian and Harvard, and I plan to
continue that way. The redirection option seemed ideal, as I have seen that
other projects on nongnu simply redirect to their non-local home sites.

> How do you plan to use our services?

I might use hosting eventually, but for starters I would start with redirect.
Essentially, I see your service as an increasingly complete directory of FOSS
software. I would like such directory to include man, as it already includes
man-db, which is used on other (primarily Suse) distros.

> At second, "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
> that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize the ideals
> of the Free Software movement.

I am aware of the naming debate. As the wikipedia, I take the stance that
things are called what the world at large calls them, not what Richard wants
to have them named. I sympathize with his point of view, but I am not going
to get into that sort of issue.

> At third, please include a (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the source
code.

The current project home is at: http://primates.ximian.com/~flucifredi/man/ -
currently this is the man pager used in Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo, Cygwin, and
(non-default but packaged) Debian. Basically it is the default choice outside
of Suse.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5514>