[Savannah-register-public] [task #5152] Submission of Station On Screen

From: Arthur Axel Schmidt
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5152] Submission of Station On Screen Display
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:35:31 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8271>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Station On Screen Display

System Group Name:
-----------------
  sosd

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  This project is supposed to be a pretty looking replacement for xosd, which
can be found at http://www.ignavus.net/software.html.  We are not going to be
using the code from xosd for technical reasons (wrong language.)

The overview of what exactly we are doing is as follows:

Stage 0.1: We provide basic functionality that will be exactly the same as
that of xOSD except using QT libraries.  Just doing this will help as it will
allow for AnitAliasing.
The current functionality, as far as I know, in xOSD is placement of text on
the screen, any choice of font or font size allowed by XWindow .  The ability
to have the text any colour you want, and the ability to have a shadow.

Stage 0.2: Build upon the previous functions, and add border support and
transparency of border.

Stage 0.3: Add image support.  I was also thinking that besides normal image
support, we should include a monochrome feature so that we could have, say, a
mute symbol, when someone presses mute, that will be the same color as the
font.  SVG support would be awesome too, but I am not so sure about how well
QT supports that.

Other Software Required:
  The project will be using Qt 4.1, (the GPL'd edition of course.)
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/index.html)

I also think that we will end up looking at the amaroK
(http://amarok.kde.org/) source for reference as it does what we want to do,
but it is not as generalized.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5152>