[Savannah-register-public] [task #4908] Submission of GNU Modula-2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4908] Submission of GNU Modula-2
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 22:01:57 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8099>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  GNU Modula-2

System Group Name:
-----------------
  gm2

Type:
-----
  Official GNU software

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------
  I had an email conversation with Richard Stallman a few years back when he
asked whether I would be willing to work on GNU Modula-2.

Basically I'd like the project to be considered
for inclusion as official GNU software - as it's aim
is to be integrated within the GCC source tree.

I've signed the copyright transfer and assign future for
this project and related projects GNU GCC, GNU Modula-2 and
GNU GDB. There are patches for these components within the
CVS tarball given in the description above.

------------
  GNU Modula-2 is a Modula-2 front end to GCC. It provides
two trees which can be currently grafted onto gcc-3.3.6;
the first tree is the actual compiler and libraries,
the second tree is a regression testsuite (dejagnu).

GNU Modula-2 comes with several libraries all GPL'd.
One of which is already on the www.gnu.org site (the ULM
library). Also included is a classical PIM set of libraries
and work is underway to implement a Logitech compatible library
and ISO Modula-2 libraries. At present some of these libraries
have been implemented and are still on the to do list.
It is the aim to provide a Programming in Modula-2 (Wirth) dialect
and also ISO Modula-2 dialect front end for GCC. The Programming in Modula-2
dialect has been implemented including threads (GNU pthreads), the SYSTEM and
base types have also been
implemented for ISO Modula-2.

All the code is GPL v2 expect the p2c compiler which is GPL v1.
GNU Modula-2 is written in Modula-2 and C. It bootstraps itself
via a modified version of p2c which is also included within
the project.

Below is the URL which contains the current CVS (without gcc-3.3.6).
[I also need to update the copyright dates on all source files
and add the copyright notice to several files in the testsuite.]

http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/download/m2/gm2-cvs.tar.gz

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4908>