[Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4564] Submission of Hurd's AlteRnative Development
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:52:00 +0200

Sergio, sorry, but I must call you a liar.  You know perfectly well that the
branch in question
is _NOT_ my branch, it is called ams-branch, but anyone with
commit access is free to commit any kind of change they feel is
approriate.  The reason why ams-branch is called ams-branch
is simply because that is what Roland wanted, I wanted to call
it devel-branch (see bug-hurd archives, I had to correct the
announcment).

Any type of interface changes should be thought about hard, since
they break things.  I actually applied a patch that changed the
interface in libpager in ams-branch a few days ago, the ext2fs >2gb patch
to be exact.

New interfaces should also be thought about hard, since if they
are wrong, and things start using them, it will be a pita to fix.

You are also refering to a extremely experimental patch, this cannot
go into the trunk, it won't go into ams-branch either since it
is completely untested, and nobody has looked at it at all.  You are asking
that we should apply patches blindly.  You haven't even signed
the copyright assignment papers that are needed to get any kind
of leagally significat patch into the Hurd, and still ask that
we should apply them when we cannot do so without hurting the whole
Hurd and GNU project.

It is possible to maintain large changes outside the tree, the ext2fs
patch was maintained like that for a long long long time.

If there is a need for a very experimental branch (I do not see
such a need right now), then it can be created.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4564>