[Savannah-register-public] [task #4362] Submission of The Fat Controller

From: Matthew Warren
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4362] Submission of The Fat Controller
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:27:28 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7780>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  fatcontroler

Full Name:
----------
  The Fat Controller

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------

------------
  Called TheFatController the project aims to develop a CLI and GUI interface
for System Admins to use to monitor/alert/manage/administer/analyse/document
multiple diverse components in a homogenous enterprise environment.

It aims to achieve this through an extensible paradigm, where end users are
able to code entities that provide abilities to communicate with devices/over
protocols, these can then be defined and managed / monitored etc.. within
FatController.

Monitoring is achieved through the definition of 'daemons', that own 'tasks',
that are run periodically according to a schedule against subscribed
'entities'. The data returned is collected, fields extracted/values counted
etc.. and then checked against alerting parameters if defined, and written to
timestamped historical file, ready for importing to excel, or analysing with
built-in vewer.

Managment and administration is achieved through entity grouping and command
routing, and by providing a 'movable' command line; IE: commands can be sent
to different entities from a single command line, and the command line
remembers the last entity it spoke to, so further commands to the same host
need no qualifier.

authentication with various systems is handled transparently. Authentication
is currently the projects greatest concern.

not yet implemented, but an ultimate goal is to have system documentation
updated on the fly based on actions taken within FatController. So if you
change a zone in your SAN, the documentation is updated for you,
transparently.

A core proof-of-concept has been written and is in daily use within the
enterprise. running to 3000+ lines of python code, it is now growing too big
and unwieldy for me to work on alone; and I also lack any formal education RE:
software engineering etc.. I am hoping the first steps this project take will
be to pull apart what has been done, and rebuild, using a better model and
appropriate technologies. I think the concept is good and we will end up with
a very useful tool.

The current bundle can be obtained from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fatcontroller

..It is currently hosted at sourceforge. If the project is accepted here, I
intend to switch to savannah.

Other Software Required:

Other Comments:

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4362>