[Savannah-register-public] [task #4174] Submission of upcow: uploads the

From: Colin Barnette
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4174] Submission of upcow: uploads the uptme through cowsay
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 01:08:33 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Site Admin. Approval/Edition URL:
 <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=7645>

###### ORIGINAL SUBMISSION DETAILS ######

System Group Name:
-----------------
  upcow

Full Name:
----------
  upcow: uploads the uptme through cowsay

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

Other License:
--------------

------------
  Upcow is a python program which is meant to upload the system uptime, which
is passed through cowsay, to an ftp server of the user's choice. Essentially
what happens is that upcow creates an instance of the Uptime class, and runs
the uptime() function. Taking the output of uptime(), we pass it through
cowsay (external), with any user arguments related to cowsay. We then take
what cowsay returned and write it to a file. This file can be specified with
an argument, but defaults to 'upcow.out'. If an argument for the ftp host is
present, then the Connection class is instanced, and the FTP routine is run.
It first makes a connection to the specified host, and if arguments for the
username and password are supplied, it uses those values to login. If not, it
uses anonymous values. After the connection is made, a check is made to see if
a remote directory argument is supplied. If so, change to that directory, if
not stay in the / directory. The file that was written is then uploaded to
the server and the connection is closed. That being the last item to do, the
program prints an exiting message, and exits.

The source code for this can be found here:
http://colin.geek.nz/upcow/upcow.tar.bz2

Also, a slightly different help file can be found here:
http://colin.geek.nz/upcow/upcow.html

Now, in the development version of upcow, we are working to convert
everything to a more structured OOP model. Also, we have a ported version of
cowsay, from perl to python. We will be implementing this in the next
version. This is to reduce the dependencies from what is listed below, to
just Python 2.4. The reason Python 2.4+ is the only version acceptable, is
some of the methods we use in pycowsay are part of the latest advances in
Python.

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  python 2.4 +
cowsay

Other Comments:
  Note that in the in-development version of upcow, we are working on a port
of cowsay to python so that we no longer have cowsay as a dependency. This
would also eliminate the getoutput() function which relies on getting output
from the shell.

Also, the source code and versions above are all < 0.1, and are not packaged
to be installed on a system just yet. This also means that we are missing
crucial items like a README and INSTALL file.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4174>