[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #4085] Submission of regex-markup

From: Oskar Liljeblad
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #4085] Submission of regex-markup
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 23:37:20 +0200

On Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:33, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

Hi Sylvain!

> You say the project will only be used to host the homepage and the download
> area of your project. We are concerned that Savannah project are not simple
> mirrors, but are truly helping developers building their free software. Can
> you tell me more about this?

It won't be a mirror, it will be the only site. The reason I'm moving
from www.student.lu.se is because I'm no longer a student at Lunds
University (lu.se) and my account on the students' server will be shut
down very soon. I understand your concern about the project site being
used merely as a mirror. That's not my intention however - if there's
interest, I will add bug tracker and make use of CVS. But as a single
developer, and with very little feedback (I've received less than 50
mails since I started this project almost four years ago) I don't
think bug tracker and CVS is necessary at this point.

I have coded regex-markup entirely in my spare time and I have received
no funding. I can't afford paying for a web space, so my only option if
you won't host my project is to put it on another site such as
SourceForge.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your concern though. Would you
accept a poorly maintained, very small and poorly coded project,
such as some shell script or a set of PHP files? regex-markup is no
such thing though.

> Incidentally, your files do not contain the full GPL license notice. This is
> a problem because when seeing a single file (for example, reused in another
> project), one cannot know whether the project is released under the GNU GPL
> version 2 only, or version 2 and any later version.

If you are referring to the short header, e.g.

/* match.c - Functions for creating and using Match structures.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2001  Oskar Liljeblad
 *
 * This file is part of regex-markup.
 *
 * This software is copyrighted work licensed under the terms of the
 * GNU General Public License. Please consult the file `COPYING' for
 * details.
 */

then this is not unintentional. Other GNU projects do the same,
libgcj part of GCC for example. But it's easy to use the full header
and I'd be glad to accomodate. I will make a new release that fixes
this.

> In addition, please include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL,
> available from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt, into a file named
> "COPYING".

Hm, it does contain this file! Please check again.

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad (address@hidden)