[Savannah-register-public] [task #3894] Submission of Security Enhanced

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #3894] Submission of Security Enhanced Open Java Plugin
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:26:12 +0000

Apologies for the delay.
I found this mail in my mailbox, it appears you didn't reply via the tracker,
which is more difficult for us to track.

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:55 +0000, Sylvain Beucler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.
>
> Savannah's mission is to host free software projects, and we want the
public
> to think of them as free software projects.  A project name that says
"open"
> will tend to lead people to think of the project as "open source"
instead of
> "free software".
>
> We would be glad if you accept to use "free" instead of "open" in your
> project name.

Well, OJI is used all over Mozilla code when it comes to putting Java
into Gecko, see http://www.mozilla.org/oji/ "Open JVM Integration (OJI)"

So I thought "Soji" would ring a bell... Open here does not mean open
source, but open spec, that my free software will try to implement.

I shall not use "open-source" in the description of the project as I too
prefer "Free Software" to "Open Source Software".

If the project name is really a problem, I can think of something else
even though I quite like this one.

> Also, how does your project relate to
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/p/gcjwebplugin ?

It proposes to do the same thing, at the end, but in a different way.
But the main difference is that we will try to build bottom up using
high level standards security specifications (notably formal
specifications and refinement).

Thanks for your help

So,

We do need that the name do not contain "Open". We recommand to use "Free"
instead, but that's not mandatory. You can very well use the same acronym but
with a different meaning.

Since you do not have source code, we will approve your project as such, and
review it in the near future, for example within one month, to check for
legal issues.

Please tell me about the new project name.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3894>