Re: [sr #111026] AGPL spamming my `git pull` outputs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [sr #111026] AGPL spamming my `git pull` outputs
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 08:05:42 -0500

> [comment #7 comment #7:]
>> The AGPL itself does not require this kind of notice, as far as I can tell,
> The AGPL requires that the program in question prominently offer every its
> user the corresponding source code; I believe the current implementation
> complies with that, and rms has confirmed it does.

The question is not whether the current notice complies, but whether
the notice has to be "offered" in an obnoxious way.

I see no reason why it needs to display the notice on every connection,
including those whose output is processed by a program (tho I'm also
bothered by the notice when the output is displayed to me, because it
makes it harder to find the actual real output among that chatter).

> It doesn't seem helpful to me to say, 'we needn't do it this way'---not
> without explaining, 'we can do it such or such way instead'.

I already suggested we can display it only on interactive connections.

>> ...the majority of people who use Git with Savannah -- who haven't logged in
> to the Savannah web app to toggle the "Quiet SSH member shell" setting.
> Any user has to log in Savannah web UI in order to register SSH keys; without
> that, people can't access non-anonymous VCS.

So why not display the notice right there when they register an SSH key?

        Stefan