Re: Dependence on nonfree software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Dependence on nonfree software
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 00:08:04 -0500

  > Then, for libre-sapienza (Savannah task #15792), the university
  > and its students form a single entity:

That conclusion surprises me.  It isn't impossible, but it would
require very special circumstances.  We should check the facts of the
scenario.

My understanding is that the university decides to use a certain
service and tells students to run nonfree software to access the
service.  And Libre-Sapienza gives the students a way to access
it without running that nonfree software.

If that is true, the user of Libre-Sapienza is a student,
not the university.

If you think I've described the scenario wrong, what detail is wrong?
How does the actual scenario differ from what I wrote above.

                                           the administration
  > of the university provides the students with some information
  > for internal needs of the university.

That is true, but I don't think that implies that the university
is the user of any program that the students use to do this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman