[sr #109942] restore automake-commit mail?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #109942] restore automake-commit mail?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 14:44:40 -0500 (EST)

> Indeed, my next commit to automake came in as address@hidden. While not
exactly correct, it seems good enough.

That comes from your registered email in the database.  If that were changed
then the outgoing mail would also be changed.

Outgoing mail from vcs0 would, if nothing were configured, come from
$address@hidden and that's not good.  Have configured email
masquerading so that all mail comes from $address@hidden hiding the
actual host name.  But email from that domain isn't valid so obviously also is
not good.

Therefore mail from individuals (commits for git, svn, cvs, et al are from the
user via ssh login) is mapped through a mapping database that maps usernames
to the registered email address.  That is how it arrived at your address@hidden
address above.  It mapped it to the registered address in the database.

The git-multimail program we have been using does not extract the git author
email address nor the git committer email address from the git commit
changeset.  I am sure it could.  I suppose the author email would be more
appropriate than the committer address.  If someone wanted to code up the
python for it then that would be fine with me.  I am not a python person and
the inner workings of git multimail are obscure to me.

I am not voting for or against anything here.  I am simply reporting the facts
of the situation as they sit right now.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109942>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/