Freetype GitHub Mirror (was: CVE-2015-9383 - freetype)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Freetype GitHub Mirror (was: CVE-2015-9383 - freetype)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:08:02 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Bob, while I have your attention, would it be eventually possible to
> make the FreeType mirroring on github work as Armin has detailed out
> some months ago?

Initially the work to do this didn't seem too bad.  But the devil is
in the details and the initial setup to push to GitHub failed due to
account problems.  And then a tweak and another failure.  Then another
round turn tweak and another failure.  Which was a little problematic
on my end since I am not a user of GitHub myself.

Eventually I am sure it will happen.  It just isn't on the high
priority side of the list of things that must-happen-today.  Since it
is supporting the non-free software that is GitHub.  If it were
supporting one of the free software alternatives then it would be a
much more motivating item.  And therefore other things that have been
needing to happen have been happening first.  That's not a passive
agressive statement.  I have no intention of pushing things down the
road as a roadblock.  But it is rather like supporting any other
non-free OS.  It's all on a best-effort basis.  But I am actually
getting more and more behind on things.  Then for a while I catch up a
little.  This last month I have been working hard and have been
catching up on my task list somewhat.  I feel like I am actually
making forward progress again.

But sometimes other things are happening.  The immediately previous
time Armin ping'd me I was overseas on travel for example and just
couldn't work on anything then.  This has been a bad year for me as I
have been away traveling so much.  And for example today I have a
couple of other end-of-the-year items that must-happen-today that I
have been trying to get done for the last month and I really need to
turn off the distractions and focus on them.  But I'll still jump onto
GNU issues if something is broken though.

Also this is something that at any time anyone could be mirroring the
software from one repository to another themselves.  Git is a
distributed system.  There is no reason that someone isn't already
pushing commits to GitHub.  Since anyone could be doing this but it
hasn't happened yet it appears that it hasn't been a priority for
anyone else to do this either.

Bob