[savannah-help-public] [sr #110004] Please publicize the fact the ssh-ds

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #110004] Please publicize the fact the ssh-dss keys don't work any more
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 12:08:03 -0400 (EDT)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

A couple of weeks ago my access to the web pages my savannah projects stopped
working: A simple 'cvs log index.html' was asking for the password of
address@hidden, instead of succeeding with the SSH key exchange.
Likewise, a fresh checkout of the web pages failed:

$ cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/gnulib co gnulib
address@hidden's password:

At the same time, access to the git source code of the same project continued
to work (ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/gnulib).

I got the problem fixed by going to 'My Account Configuration > Authentication
Setup > SSH Public Keys' and adding a new public key, of type ed25519 or
ecdsa. Previously I had only one key, of type dss.

So, what changed is apparently that cvs.savannah.gnu.org started to ignore
keys of type dss, while git.savannah.gnu.org continues to accept them.

Probably I'm not the only one with this issue. Therefore it would be good if
you could post a news item to appropriate channels, telling people "Attention:
If you have a key of type dss registered in your savannah account, it will now
be ignored by cvs.savannah.gnu.org. Register a new key of type ed25519 or
ecdsa through Savannah's Account Configuration." This would have saved me 2
hours of searching.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110004>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/