[savannah-help-public] [sr #109651] Git checking is slow - DNS timeout?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109651] Git checking is slow - DNS timeout?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:49:39 -0400 (EDT)

Yay for LibrePlanet, vacation travel, catching a cold, getting better. :-) All
taking some time.  But not like the time it is taking for your git push to
complete. :-(

Looking at your strace it unfortunately only shows me where at three different
occurrences there looks to be a 10 second timeout in a select() call.

select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL) = 1 (in [3])

I couldn't tell where that select() call was coming from.

It is good that you have two different cases, one fast and one slow, to
compare.  However I think that since you are the only one able to observe your
slow case that the burden will be yours to try to debug why it is the slow
case.

I would look at DNS on your side.  Look at /etc/nsswitch.conf for the hosts
line.  Likely there is some other modules installed there.  If so then I
suggest trying a debug case with them reduced to the known good set here.

hosts: files dns

Also I would verify that /etc/resolv.conf has a good configuration.  Because
if there are several nameservers listed there then the first one may be timing
out and falling back to a secondary one.  That may be accounting for the
timeouts you are seeing.  Again creating a debug case that avoids the dns
lookup by setting a temporary IP in /etc/hosts or otherwise ensuring a safe
test case may help debug the problem.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109651>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/