[savannah-help-public] [sr #109593] nongnu.org mailing list is modifying

From: Ivan Warren
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 05:14:51 -0500 (EST)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: Microsoft Windows
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

The mailmain software running on nongnu.org is altering the contents of the
body while yet indicating the from: field is the sender.
Because of this, any DKIM check makes the message invalid.
If the sending domain uses DMARC, the mail may get rejected because of that.
This means that since my domain is DMARC protected (and all my messages DKIM
signed) - they will be rejected (and not received) by a receiving MTA that
checks my domain's DMARC status (and makes a DKIM verification).

Furthermore, any S/MIME signature gets invalidated. (PGP/GPG won't be affected
because the modifications occur outside the signed message block)

SMTP has provision for headers specific to mailing lists and should be used
instead of altering the message body.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109593>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/