[savannah-help-public] [sr #109076] Request to move nano from gnu to non

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109076] Request to move nano from gnu to nongnu
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:22:17 +0000 (UTC)

Update of sr #109076 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => agn

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hello Benno,

As a volunteer admin on savannah, I do not have the mandate the simply mark a
gnu project as non-gnu
(same as I can not simply mark a project as officall 'gnu').
While the technical changes on the savannah servers change should be simple
enough,
I would like to ask you to first write to either address@hidden or
address@hidden or address@hidden .
I assume that if this move is approved, they will send a confirmation message
to our  the savannah admin private mailing list,
and then we can make the change on savannah.

It was a bit hard to find the reasons behind this move based on your
mailing-list link.
Digging deeper, I assume the reasons are detailed here:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2016-05/msg00013.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2016-05/msg00014.html
And they boil down the the requirement of copyright assignment
(seems like in general you do not object to the savannah's system or other
major GNU issues).

<the following is my personal opinion, and in no way represents GNU or FSF>

A GNU project does not have to transfer copyright to FSF.

The "GNU Software Evaluation" page says:
"For a program to be GNU software does not require transferring copyright to
the FSF;
that is a separate question. If you transfer the copyright to the FSF, the FSF
will
enforce the GPL for the program if someone violates it;
if you keep the copyright, enforcement will be up to you."
source: https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.en.html

The reasoning for choosing to assign copyrights are explained here:
   https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.en.html

In my GNU project ( http://gnu.org/s/datamash/ ) the copyright is mine and not
the FSF's,
and contributions do not require copyright assignment.

I assume that in GNU Nano's case, the administrators decided long ago the
assign copyright to FSF, and this has been the case ever since.

Perhaps as a less drastic move,
NANO's maintainers can agree with the FSF to not assign copyrights any more
(and not require it for future contributions) ?
(disclaimer: this is just my personal thought, I do not know what FSF thinks
about it).

</personal opinion>

regards,
 - assaf