[Savannah-help-public] [sr #108045] git denyNonFastforwards (resubmitted

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #108045] git denyNonFastforwards (resubmitted)
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 13:25:49 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

bit surprised that for almost a month support request did not
receive any response from the savannah administrators.

Thanks a lot,

Roland

On Mon Apr 9 2012 Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> GAH!  I just pushed to the wrong repo, and it allowed me to write a
> bunch of commits to the bbdb git repo at savannah which I meant to
> push to my clone on github.  And the repo at savannah is configured to
> reject my attempt to fix the boo-boo as a "non-fast-forward" push.  So
> I am powerless to fix it...
>
> PS The right fix is for someone to run
>
>   git config denyNonFastforwards false
>
> in the bbdb git repo *on savannah*.  This would allow someone with
> write access (like me, apparently, although I was not aware of it) to
> do a force-push of the correct tip of the master branch.  E.g.,
> assuming you have the savannah repo set as your "origin" remote,
> and using the tag I set to identify the right tip,
>
>   git push origin -f master-belongs-here-oopsie:master
>
> then I'd delete that stupid tag, both locally
>
>   git tag -d master-belongs-here-oopsie
>
> and on savannah
>
>   git push origin :master-belongs-here-oopsie

Dear Savannah Hackers

An accident has happened in BBDB's repository on Savannah that
cannot be fixed (properly) without your help, see above.

Our case is very similar to

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=107888

Thanks a lot for your help,

Roland