[Savannah-help-public] [sr #107077] bzr+ssh:// preferable to sftp://

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #107077] bzr+ssh:// preferable to sftp://
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:24:46 +0000

As Emacs is moving to Bzr, the performance issue of using sftp rather than
bzr+ssh is becoming a serious concern.
Read-only access via sftp is usually acceptable, but installing changes via
sftp tends to be slow, and since Bzr is already slow when managing Emacs's
large history, it makes it that much more painful.

I understand your concern that combining sftp and bzr+ssh amounts to
providing shell access (via commit hooks), so I suggest to address this
problem by using a tweaked version of Bzr where the commit hooks are disabled:
nothing is lost since currently commit hooks aren't supported anyway (since
they don't work via sftp).

Actually, if we ever want to allow bzr+ssh, we will most likely need to go
through such a situation anyway (because we will want to allow both sftp and
bzr+ssh access at the same time during the transition period, and commit-hooks
only make sense if all accesses go through bzr+ssh).

The problem of transferring tens of MB over the internet even when committing
relatively small changes is serious and makes the use of Bzr on Savannah
problematic.  We need to find a solution to it.  After all, GNU Bazaar is
supposed to be the revision control of choice for the GNU system.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/