Re: [Savannah-hackers] new project / project was submitted

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] new project / project was submitted
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:02:34 +0200

Hi,

While you added a license notice to most of your files, some problems
subsist.

First, the address of the FSF has changed, and is now:

  59 Temple Place, Suite 330
  Boston, MA  02111-1307
  USA

Please update your files.
An updated version of the GPL can also be found here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

The files should also contain a copyright notice. You headers mention
the copyright holder, but it is better to use a standard copyright
notice as describe at http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_8.html

Some files (I think they are data) are not clearly licensed. It
would be good to add a copyright and license notices to them as
well. If it is not possible due to the file format, it should be
clearly mentioned in a file located in the same directory.

We would like you to license your documentation either under the GNU
Free Documentation License, or under a GPL-compatible license. This
implies giving the preferred source for modifying it. As it seems to
be generated using MS Word, you have to switch to a non-propriatery
format, such as OpenOffice's.

Note that Savannah supports projects of the Free Software
movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software
that is not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty
close to Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more
information, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Also, "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing references to Linux as an OS
to GNU/Linux?

For more information, see
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

You mention Z88 is freeware. 'freeware' and 'free software' are
two different concepts, as described in
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Freeware

Please remove GIF image files from your project and replace them
with an other format (such as PNG or JPEG).

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW compression
algorithm which are used when making GIF files, it's impossible to
have free software to generate proper GIFs.  They also apply to the
compress program.

For more information read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Keep also in mind that OpenMotif is not free software. Lesstif,
however, is perfectly OK.

You registered both z88 and z88free. Can you tell me what is your
system name you want?

Last, you mentionned it could be an interesting program for GNU. Do
you want your project to be evaluated to become a GNU package (if
approved)?

And that should be all.
That was quite a long mail :)

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.

Regards,

--
Sylvain

-----