[Savannah-hackers] Re: gcc at subversions

From: Jason Molenda
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: gcc at subversions
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:27:30 +0000

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 04:17:05PM +0100, Loic Dachary wrote:

>       This is good. Since we are rsync'ing from gcc.gnu.org, we are
> out of trouble because the server side already excludes the lock files
> (just re-stating what you said to make sure there is 0% chance of
> misunderstanding). Here is the line we use:

Yes, this is the rsyncd.conf entry for the cvs repository:

[gcc-cvs]
        path = /sourceware/projects/gcc-home/cvsfiles
        exclude = #cvs.rfl.* #cvs.wfl.* #cvs.lock
        comment = gcc cvs repository (678 MB)

I think I should also exclude the CVSROOT/history file - it is
constantly changing, with no useful information.  When we upgrade
to cvs 1.11, one of the changes we'll make is to stop updating this
file.  (the config option to make this change was added with 1.11)

I see you're rsync'ing once an hour.  During low-load times, it
takes ten minutes to build up the profile of changed files - during
higher-load times, it takes as much as thirty minutes.  The highest
load on the system is morning time in the US, approx 15.00 GMT
through 20.00 GMT, on weekdays (Monday through Friday).

>         Fine with me. I'm still checking. Once the two rsync processes
> overlapped. No damage but I'm trying to figure out how to avoid this
> to happen again.

It's easy to put a lock around the rsync.  Instead of

>       rsync --archive --delete --checksum --compress
> rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gcc-cvs /home/rsync/gcc

You could use something like

  LOCKFILE=/tmp/gcc-rsync.lock
  TWO_HOURS=7200
  lockfile -r 2 -l $TWO_HOURS $LOCKFILE || exit 1
  rsync --archive --delete --checksum --compress
rsync://sourceware.cygnus.com/gcc-cvs /home/rsync/gcc
  rm -f $LOCKFILE

>       sourceware.cygnus.com == gcc.gnu.org therefore I guess we are talking
> of the same rsync configuration.

They're the same, but the gcc folks prefer to call it `gcc.gnu.org'.

Jason