Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Add information about downloading Git snap

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Add information about downloading Git snapshots
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 23:25:23 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Can this information please be added to the appropriate page of each
> project?

Honestly this worries me a because I recall that creating those
snapshots puts a high load on the server.  Right now a few people do
it and it isn't so bad.  But if it is advertised as a feature then it
is likely that 10 or more people will do it and that many in parallel
will brown out the system.

This is operating from my memory of having the system brown out before
and finding that it was cgit on the fly git tar bundle creation.  That
was a previous version of git and cgit.  We have upgraded since then.
Also I remember we were short on disk at that time and those snapshots
would sometimes run the disk to 100%.  Since then we have expanded the
amount of disk space available and space should not be a problem.

Before we advertise this feature for wide use I would like to try to
stress test doing this first.  At a time that someone can be looking
at the system load at the same time.  Because it worries me.  It has
browned out the system before.  But time has passed and I don't know
if it is a problem now or not.

The best thing is to do a stress test benchmark and understand how
much cpu, memory, disk I/O bandwidth, this uses on the system.  Make a
determination as to how many simultaneous git tar bundle creations can
be one.  Crank up the number of parallel creation tasks and see how
many we can do before we brown out the system.  And then decide if
that many is something that the system can handle or not.  Certainly
if the data shows it to be okay then it is not a problem.

Bob