Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push t

From: Daniel Katz
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push to gnu.org/software/$PROJECT
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 17:24:18 -0400

Thank you for responding! Seeing the curl commands used makes the new.py
script make a lot more sense now.

I've been thinking about how the workflow for creating git repos for
updating software subpages on gnu.org should be and how those repos can
best be identified by wildebeest for syncing.

If it's possible project maintainers to create arbitrary repos under
their project, I think that they should be responsible for creating a
sub repo called "web." The project maintainer should also email someone
(me most likely) to add their project name to a text file which
identifies that they want their gnu.org/software subpage to be gotten
via git instead of CVS. The text file should likely be somewhere on
Savannah and be accessible via the web. This proposal shouldn't require
any source code modifications or even creating a new subdomain.

For example, Emacs has its source repo, GNU ELPA, NonGNU ELPA, and Emacs
Org mode git repos on its project page. If the maintainers wanted it to
have a git repo for it's subpage instead of CVS, a maintainer should
create a repo called web (which would reside at
"git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/web.git") and then email me to add
Emacs to the aforementioned text file.

I'm willing to maintain this text file past my internship (might be a
great way to get more involved with Savannah in general).

Also, I saw that there is a script to generate documentation for each
project. I think it runs on the Savannah side of things but want to confirm.