Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] (no subject)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 00:05:57 -0600

Hello Héctor!

hector lacunza wrote:
> Hi, my name is Héctor. I am studing Network Administration Operative
> Systems (ASIR, in spanish) and i am interested in learn more about
> GNU/Linux. I think the best way yo learn is to do, so i would like
> to work with you.
> If i can be a contributor please let me know.

It's awesome that you would like to help the GNU Project!  You have
reached the folks who maintain Savannah, the software forge for people
committed to Free Software.  https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
But we don't really know much about the individual projects.  It's all
very distributed.

There are many projects within the GNU Project.  Are there any that
you are more interested in than others?  The best thing is to find a
project that you have some interest and become active with that
project.  You might look at the list of high priority projects.  These
are very important projects that need more attention.

  https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/

Right now with everyone dealing with the COVID-19 stay at home
situation there is a lot of need for software to communicate.  You
might find something in this list that you are interested in.  These
are of particular interest right now.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/better-than-zoom-try-these-free-software-tools-for-staying-in-touch

There is a list of all of the official GNU packages here.  But we also
encourage participation in non-GNU projects too.  But here is the
official GNU list.  If you are looking for something that interests
you then perhaps you will find something from here.  There are a lot
of projects!

  https://www.gnu.org/software/software.html

Also remember that good projects need good documentation.  In many
translated languages.  And with good web pages.  With nice logos and
artwork.  Often the best place to start is to start reading
documentation for a project that interests you and then upon finding
things that are not clear, mistaken, needs improvement, or whatever,
send suggestions for improving that documentation to the maintainers
of that project.  The best time to do this is when learning a new
project.  Because that is when omissions in the documentation are most
apparent.

Hope this helps!  And thanks for contributining to the community! :-)

Bob