[Savannah-hackers-public] people_resume (sr #109597)

From: Ineiev
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] people_resume (sr #109597)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 06:59:04 -0500

Hello,

It turns out that Savannah gets considerable amounts of spam in
people_resume of newly created accounts [0]. starting from 2011,
spammer activity has been growing, and now it's 1000 to 2000 accounts
a month [1] (in contrast, spam in trackers is quite rare).

[0] https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?109597
[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/download.php?file_id=46323

Most these accounts are easy to detect automatically with a very low
false positive ratio, but then they'll still have to be removed
manually: checking the text and visiting a single link per account.

As an alternative, we could block enabling the resume (as opposed to
the set of skills) unless the user, say, is a member of any group
or has taken part in any discussion on a tracker.

This would prevent most spam if not spam accounts themselves,
however, some accounts look like

        user_name: pillsbestprices
        realname: jim, matt, sam, mike
        (people_resume is NULL)

(the fields are typically _not_ in English). if we'd like to deal
with this kind of spam, I think we'll have to remove the records
from the database (not just set the status to 'S' and clear
the fields) when a new account hasn't been used, for example,
for 10 months.

What do people think?