[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #10565] Submission of Insidious Big

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #10565] Submission of Insidious Big Brother Database
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:15:11 -0500

On Sat Aug 21 2010 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in GNU Savannah.
> You can reach the rest Savannah hackers (Staff) in this list:

Hi Mario

Thanks! I hope that following up on savannah-hackers-public will be
the right place.

> Some files (Makefile, ChangeLog) lack licensing information

I understand that each significant file should include licensing
information. Yet for me the question is a more technical one:

Currently BBDB uses a Makefile. But what I really want (in the long
run) is to use autoconf. So I believe I have two options:

- I could put now a Makefile in the repository. Yet later on this
  will be replaced by the files required by autoconf. I know that
  old CVS can give you a hard time if you try to modify the
  structure of the repository...

- The elisp files of BBDB can be compiled fairly easily from within
  Emacs. So right now I could only put these elisp files into the
  repository, but no Makefile at all. And later I add the autoconf
  stuff so that the Makefile becomes a derived file that does not go
  at all into the repository.

Then whatever file(s) are going to reside in the repository will
have the licensing information.

> In addition, if you haven't already, please include a copy of the
> plain text version of the GPL, available from
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt, into a file named "COPYING".

This would be version 3. -- Does this make a difference if the
licensing information for BBDB says

  ...GNU General Public License as published by the Free
  Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or (at
  your option) any later version.

Thanks,

Roland