Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Setting default_member_moderation to yes f

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Setting default_member_moderation to yes for all lists?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:22:38 -0600

    Gotta wonder if moderating new members is really necessary,

It stops one attack that we have seen happen: spammers subscribing under
a random address and then using that address to send to the list.
That's all.  There's no other practical way to deal with this, though it
doesn't happen often.

It's all a percentage game.  Short of approving every single message,
there's no way to eliminate the spam
forged-as-real-member-who-previously-posted.  If the spammers ever got
smart and start forging real addresses on a mass scale, we'll be
screwed.

karl