Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] listhelper?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] listhelper?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:01:05 -0600

    At the time, I didn't do it, because they are private, and listhelper
    admins aren't necessarily members.

    What do you think?

I am torn.  You are right that the other two listhelpers at present (Bob
Proulx and Oleg Katsitadze) aren't on savannah hackers, which is why I
haven't asked about it until now.  On the other hand, it's getting
awfully tiresome to delete all the spam by hand, when it would so easily
be done automatically by listhelper, which is why I finally did ask.

It's not like Bob and Oleg are untrustworthy; we're passing through a
large proportion of all gnu.org mailing list mail, after all.  And it's
running on one of Bob's machines.  (Bob is a long-time coreutils
contributor; I know Oleg very well through the TeX world for quite a
while now.)  I find it hard to imagine there ever actually being a
problem ... but I suppose it is possible, e.g., the private mail is
theoretically interceptible at an intervening hop.  But the same is
true for the private mail being delivered to all of our mailboxes.

Sigh.  I'm still torn.  all in all, maybe it is better not to.  Maybe
someday the sysadmins will finish their threatened superduper mail
system, and then this particular issue will presumably go away.  (I
shudder to think of all the new ones that will arise, though. :)

Thanks,
Karl