reproduce-devel

[task #15699] Unified format for software source code archival

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15699] Unified format for software source code archival
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 21:04:39 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #2, task #15699 (project reproduce):

Thanks a lot Antonio for the very good analysis, and guidance on the proper
GNU Tar command to use.

The process of unifying the format of the archived tarballs has started with
Commit 0ff2ae5c23
<https://git.maneage.org/tarballs-software.git/commit/?id=0ff2ae5c23> (in the
Software repository) and Commit 13ef389f05c
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/commit/13ef389f05c> (in a
development branch of Maneage). See P.S. for the commit message describing the
process.

But its just a start, I'll try to go step by step and update as many of the
software as possible in the coming weeks (in the end all the commits for
version update will be rebased into one that will be merged with the main
Maneage branch).

If anyone would like to help, please let me know when you can do it so we
coordinate and don't spend time on updating the same package.

P.S.

Following the discussion in Task #15699 [1], all software that come into
Maneage will be archived in a unified format. To do this, the downloaded
tarball from each software's webpage (or the version we already had) was put
in an 'orig' directory, then the following two commands were run (for example
for xz version 5.2.5):

    $ name=xz-5.2.5
    $ tar xf orig/$name.tar.gz \
      && tar -c -Hustar --owner=root --group=root \
             -f $name.tar $name/ \
      && lzip $name.tar \
      && rm -r $name/

But besides the formatting, the top directory within the tarballs is now
always just the name of the tarball without the 'tar.lz'. While most software
already follow that convention, some (like Zip or Unzip) didn't. So they have
also been corrected.

As one exception, for now, Make has not been updated because it would have the
same file name as before and we don't want to break any dependencies (by
modifying it, and thus its checksum). I tried bootstrapping Make's latest
commit (so the version identifier can be different), but there was a bug when
building the latest version on my computer and it has been reported to its
developers [2].

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15699
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2021-10/msg00002.html

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15699>