reproduce-devel

[bug #58657] readline not available to awk in commit 5c3f2c4

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #58657] readline not available to awk in commit 5c3f2c4
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 11:36:18 -0400 (EDT)

Update of bug #58657 (project reproduce):

             Assigned to:                    None => makhlaghi

Follow-up Comment #1:

Thanks a lot for the check Boud, I found the problem, here is the
explanation:

GAWK (like a few other programs) unfortunately doesn't respect the request to
include RPATH in its binary. Leading to this problem (as we discussed in
Comment 13 or Task 15686 <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686#comment13>.
You can see an explanation in the build rule for AWK in 'basic.mk'.

This particular problem happened because of the way we checked when to do
this: recently (when setting Gettext as a dependency of Bash), I had
mistakenly removed the 'needpatchelf' variable, which caused this problem!

I also noticed this while I was working on Comment 11 of Task 15686
<https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686#comment11> and that is why one of the
points in that long commit message is regarding PatchELF (the program that
manually adds RPATH). I noticed that because of historical reasons, we were
doing this check in different ways for different programs.

This problem has thus been fixed in that commit and I am closing it. But it
will just be merged into the master branch tomorrow.

In fact, if you have time for a check until tomorrow, it would be great if you
could try a clean build from only-gnu-make
<https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/tree/only-gnu-make> branch of the
development project <https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev>.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58657>

  Message sent via Savannah