reproduce-devel

[task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15686] Removing original software URLs from Maneage?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 02:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #8, task #15686 (project reproduce):

[comment #7 comment #7:]
> About those two URLs, try appending them with one of the tarball names and
you'll see they work ;-). They just don't have a top webpage.

OK - both work with at least one specific tarball. :)

> This proposal will change the current situation, its not just about the
backup servers.

> Besides the backup servers, I am proposing to remove the original URLs,

So the proposal _is_ to remove the original URLs. We'll converge
on understanding each other sooner or later. :)

> they make the code really hard to maintain, and have peculiarities. For
example when I submitted Maneage to GNU last year, Richard Stallman complained
that some of the links use Javascript. It wasn't easy to convince him that we
also have backup servers! Because the preferred URLs were those of the
software! It is still under review in GNU!

Are these URLs that _require_ javascript or _try_ to use javascript? I don't
see any sign of a javascript engine in
.build/software/tarballs/wget-1.20.3.tar.lz . But getting maneage
to become an official GNU package would be great! (Though it
would require people who are not yet officially GNU confirmed
to do so, to protect the FSF legally.) Or is this just for FSF
status as free software? Anyway, these are interesting questions
but side topics to the main issue here.

> As an alternative, I am thinking of this: we add an optional argument for
each software where the user can give a custom, software specific URL instead
of one general URL. If the argument isn't set, we'll use our own backup
servers.

How about something simpler: create a file
_reproduce/software/config/source-urls.conf_
with content something like

#bash-url-base = http://akhlaghi.org/maneage-software
bash-url-suffix = .tar.lz
binutils-url-base = http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils
binutils-url-suffix = .tar.lz
#bzip2-url = http://akhlaghi.org/maneage-software
bzip2-url-suffix = .tar.gz

where an absent (or commented out) ${package}-url-base or
${package}-url-suffix falls
back to a default value from _reproduce/software/config/servers-backup.conf_
.

As before, a user-defined tarball directory would also override the URLs here;
and multiple backup servers such as maneage.org and zenodo would be
fallbacks.

An option should also be given to ignore _*-url-base_ from _source-urls.conf_

and only use _*-url-suffix_ .

A systematic way of handling "non-standard" URLs - such as
bitbucket non-tagged URLs "master.tar.gz" that do not have
the commit number nor version number - would also be
convenient.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15686>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/