reproduce-devel

[task #15674] ArXiv anc/ directory - publication checklist

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [task #15674] ArXiv anc/ directory - publication checklist
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 09:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

In the pre-publication checklist [1-3] we do not yet have
a step in shifting or sym-linking files into a subdirectory _anc/_ for
ancillary files [4] in the ArXiv step of submission for
astro/phys/math/compsci papers.

We can see an example of the anc/ usage here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.09064

and the non-anc/ usage in v1 of the main Maneage paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.03018v1

I think that this can be done quite easily, but it requires two
elements:
(i) some minor additions/changes in one of the .mk files
(ii) info in the README-hacking.md#publication-checklist section.
There's no point doing the work of (i) if people forget to benefit from it
(ii). :)

Are there any arguments against using the anc/ structure?

A weak argument against it would be that it would require splitting up files.
The ArXiv guideline [4] says _"tex files should not be included in this
directory"_ but that's _should_, not _must not_. My initial guess is that the
way to do (i) would be
to create anc/reproduce/ and anc/tex/ as symlinks in the maneage
system, and use the _-h_ option in _tar_ when creating a tar.gz file for
uploading to ArXiv, to dereference the sym links.

The benefit is that the right-hand column of the ArXiv web entry
makes it clear that there are files available for the paper.

[1]
https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/blob/pub-checklist/README-hacking.md#publication-checklist
(may disappear when the branch is merged)
[2] https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/maneage-paper/-/issues/11
[3] https://gitlab.com/maneage/project-dev/-/issues/1
[4] https://arxiv.org/help/ancillary_files

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15674>