reproduce-devel

[bug #58263] Openssl/libgit2 compile bug

From: Boud Roukema
Subject: [bug #58263] Openssl/libgit2 compile bug
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:09:14 -0400 (EDT)

Update of bug #58263 (project reproduce):

Follow-up Comment #7:

This _is_ an openssl bug! However, the openssl installation would only be able
to detect the bug (and fail) if it had a sufficient number of _make check_
type unit and regression tests.

For a reason I haven't been able to trace further, in OpenSSL Version 1.1.1a,
which is the present version chosen in _config/versions.conf_ and
_config/checksums.conf_ ,  _openssl/ec.h_ fails to include
_openssl/openconf.h_ .

I proposed a fix which should work as long as we do not update openssl. Since
that's a different issue (a Debian security-team checked version would be
safer than an upstream version), the following patch should work at least
until then:

https://codeberg.org/boud/maneage_dev/commit/635caf11149c805bd5941aec5d061ce08a160481

There's an #ifndef test after the apparently failed include command that
provides a simplified alternative to the actions of the missing inclusion in
relation to deprecated code.

It seems to me that the worst effect that would presumably happen if we left
this fix in place after updating _openssl_ is that deprecated code would be
included without any compile-time or run-time warning. (I haven't checked what
sort of warning is provided by the macro.) This would be bad in terms of
maintaining  code quality, which is especially important for something like
openssl, though it should not block compilation.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?58263>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/