repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Please review codeberg.org

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Please review codeberg.org
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 17:03:45 +1000

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:33:59 -0400 Richard wrote:
> Does not recommend SaaSS services, operated by other > hosts. (A5) > Any recommended SaaSS services operated by the same host, > also > pass all 'C' criteria. (C7)
Why make this distinction?  I just don't see the reason to.

that was to illuminate, that all forges on this list, and under
review, are SaaSS, without exception - the entire purpose of this
list is to recommend SaaSS - that may not have been so obvious
when this list was created; but it is today

I'm not sure if this is true. Assuming a forge is a service that hosts your git repositories / publishes commits and provides a space for communication through issue trackers which are glorified mailing lists. Then it is almost the same as a blogging site for people to host their blogs with the following (loose) analogies:

- Blogposts <-> commits
- Comments <-> issues

The essay defining SaaSS argues that blogging or microblogging services are not SaaSS:

The original idea of web servers wasn't to do computing for you, it was to publish information for you to access. Even today this is what most web sites do, and it doesn't pose the SaaSS problem, because accessing someone's published information isn't doing your own computing. Neither is use of a blog site to publish your own works, or using a microblogging service such as Twitter or StatusNet. (These services may or may not have other problems, depending on details.) The same goes for other communication not meant to be private, such as chat groups.

A forge defined this way does hosting / publishing and communication only, not computation, thus it should not be considered SaaSS.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0