repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Please review codeberg.org

Subject: Re: Please review codeberg.org
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 14:13:20 +1000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Based on what you told me recently (please dorward that discussion here), codeberg DOES encourage unclear licensing. In particular, it doesn't
distinguish clearly between GPL-3-only and GPL-3-or-later,
and does not tell or guide users to carry out properly whichever
one the user has chosen.

 So Codeberg fails B2.

I filled in B2 based on answer to Q9 at https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/repo-criteria-discuss/2021-06/msg00005.html. There's also Q13 but that is for A2.

I looked at the codeberg doc for this question, and noticed that it points users to https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list, https://opensource.org/licenses and https://choosealicense.com/ for choice of licenses (https://docs.codeberg.org/getting-started/first-repository/ ):

License Here, you can choose from a list of FSF/OSI approved licenses. A LICENSE file will then be added to the repository. For some help on choosing the correct license, check for example the GNU Operating System, the Open Source Initiative or the choosealicense.com websites.

I'm not sure if the choice of licenses is discussed elsewhere on the docs.

By the way I could not navigate the https://docs.codeberg.org with librejs on:

blocked scripts in https://docs.codeberg.org/:

https://docs.codeberg.org/assets/js/collapse.js:

External script with no known license
https://docs.codeberg.org/assets/js/sidebar.js:

External script with no known license

Does that mean it fails C0?

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0