repo-criteria-discuss

Fw: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org

From: bill-auger
Subject: Fw: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 03:11:46 -0400

this one was not sent to the list

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 00:53:19 -0400
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community>
Cc: rms@gnu.org
Subject: Re: (re-)evaluation of notabug.org

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
  ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all
enemies,     ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow
Snowden's example. ]]]

  > then the core question remains, what does "offers" actually
  > entail, WRT "-or-later"? - would that entail the
implementation > of such an automated license checker or wizard?
- or is it > sufficient to "give good instructions"?

Would you like to suggest better wording.

  > savannah is ranked 'A' - im sure that savannah has no wizard
of > that sort - i dont think that savannah itself, satisfies
"gives > good instructions" either; though it does direct users
to other > resources, which do have licensing instructions

That's good enough.  It doesn't matter whether the pages linked
to are on the same site or another, as long as they give the
crucial advice.

  > if is it sufficient to "give good instructions"; then
"offers" > is not the essential concept - thats really
suggesting: "explains > how to apply -or-later"

It needs to tell users that they have these two options, and
what they imply, and how to do them.

Helping users do them is desirable too.

Diffs are welcome.

--