repo-criteria-discuss

Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code

From: Andrea Monaco
Subject: Re: On Gitlab's Javascript code
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 19:06:34 +0100

Thank you for the information you sent.

I see that GitLab has a C grade which dates back to 2015.

But we agreed in previous messages on repo-criteria-discuss that you can
not even register to the site without using proprietary Javascript; in
fact you have to complete a reCaptcha, which is proprietary software by
Google.
As far as I know, you can't upload any code to the site if you're
not registered.

I also gave a look at some other scripts from the site which were
blocked  by LibreJS, and they all seem to contain no copyright notice
or license; neither I can find any general license page on the site.
I think this page https://about.gitlab.com/terms/ does not say anything
on the matter; there's probably a lot of proprietary JS in the site.

Maybe this link suggested by Gerwitz
https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/
is no longer relevant or true (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

So GitLab does not satisfy C0 criterion ("All important site
functionality that's enabled for use with that package works correctly
(though it need not look as nice) in free browsers, including IceCat,
without running any nonfree software sent by the site.").

We should consider downgrading it.

Warmly,
Andrea Monaco