repo-criteria-discuss

Re: Gitlab's "C" rating is overrated; add netneutrality; evaluate Playst

From: Hannes Rosenögger
Subject: Re: Gitlab's "C" rating is overrated; add netneutrality; evaluate Playstore & F-Droid
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:43:31 +0100

Fyi: It seems that Gitlab merged an alternative to recaptcha 2 month ago.

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-foss/issues/46548#note_203922493

It is not yet enabled by default on gitlab.com though.

Aaron Wolf <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 13. Jan. 2020, 05:40:
I agree with the gist here. Some notes:

There is an open GitLab issue around the CAPTCHA issues:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/issues/21998

Although marking Google Play with an F is a nice idea, the repo criteria
generally are about places for free software source code to be hosted.
Google Play does not offer that service in any form. From the FSF
position, an Instant Pot app would not be accepted regardless of
repository unless it is itself free software (which I presume it is not).

F-Droid is an interesting case. It does appear to directly host the
specific corresponding source tarballs for the hosted binaries. It could
be good to evaluate. But it otherwise generally just links to other
repos for the main free software project (e.g. GitHub).

On 2020-01-12 4:55 p.m., address@hidden