repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Ethical hosting means Free Software hosting

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Ethical hosting means Free Software hosting
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 21:45:57 -0400

Richard:

Regarding the repository criteria: there was a suggestion to move A0
(all important site functions work with JS disabled) into the
requirements for B.  After giving it some thought, I agree:

B0 ensures that all JavaScript sent to the browser is free, but it would
seem to allow for a website that is entirely dependent on JavaScript to
function at all.  Since these are criteria for the GNU project, it would
make me uncomfortable to recommend that GNU hackers and contributors use
such a host, especially when we consider that many of those hackers are
just as likely to view that host's website in a text-mode browser as
they are in a browser that supports JS.  Sites relying too heavily on JS
also make scripting difficult (that is, piping the site to other
programs).

This is my personal rationale.  What are your thoughts?

Ian: if you want to make other suggestions based on what you said, feel
free.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer