repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] B2 for Gitlab?

From: Connor Shea
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] B2 for Gitlab?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:06:45 -0600

--------------

Hey Mike,

So to clarify/break down the requirements:

1. "GPL v2" should be changed to "GPL v2 or later", and ditto for "GPL v3". The license text should also be changed to reflect this.

2. For projects without a license, the License field in the header should say something like "No License (Proprietary)". Would "All Rights Reserved" be acceptable? If a user can contribute directly to a project (and that project has no license), they currently see "Add License" in place of any License text, I assume that's okay?

3. GitLab needs to suggest that a project without a license should add one. (See screenshots attached/expanded upon below for current, similar implementation)

4. Encourage users to include licensing information in every file. Would you mind providing an example of such a snippet? Would it be the full license, or is the license title and a link to the full license (either an external link via opensource.org or just a link to the license file as hosted on GitLab?) acceptable?

5. Can you expand on how we would "ensure that licenses are applied correctly"? Does this mean, e.g. preventing forks (a feature which has been suggested before) and/or private forks would not be possible if the project was using a GPLv2+ license?

--------------

Regarding number 3, the requirement of "prominently [encouraging] users to choose a license and [indicating] that a lack of license makes the software proprietary", we currently do this, is it acceptable?:

[See Attachment 1]

Also, with a README (and/or other files) but no license, it displays slightly differently:

[See Attachment 2]

Thank you very much for helping us out with this :)

Sidenote: I would encourage you to clarify grades to include version numbers, e.g. "as of GitLab 8.8 the grade is a B", so that users aren't downloading older versions with the expectation that they'll be using a product that is more free than it actually is.

Apologies if I've messed anything up, I'm new to Mailman lists.

Connor Shea, GitLab Frontend Engineering Intern

GPG Public Key ID: 2048R/7DB73ED1