repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Rough Draft of Announcement (Task 2)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 20:36:40 +0000

On 09/03/16 03:46, Mike Gerwitz wrote
I don't think the intent is necessarily to discourage their use; the
criteria are intended for acceptable hosting for the GNU project itself;
we hope that others will take it into consideration as well.
I took this message from the B-grade in the criteria, where it lists B as "good enough to recommend". Surely a goal of this project is to discourage the use of unethical repositories in favor of the more ethical alternatives?
I'd omit this.
Absolutely, feel free to make any changes as you see fit. I included that because "call for: Repo sites to work on getting an A on the criteria" was in Zak's original message about the announcement. I can understand why the second two paragraphs should be removed (criticizing existing repositories is probably a bad way to win over their support), but I'm curious as to why you think the first paragraph should be removed. (I'm happy to omit it, just interested as to why).
I don't think this is a campaign so much as the current state of
affairs.
With a specific mention to GitHub's current refusal to work with libre JS, perhaps a campaign would be an effective approach - although if both you and RMS have tried and failed to get them to change, I can't see them changing their position easily. Any word on the cooperation of other repositories? I've seen that GitLab have been particularity helpful, but I am curious about the others.
Not that it's a bad thing.  Zak?
Zak's input would be useful to clarify the points raised above, but I'm sure he's very busy - I just got the campaign email about DRM from him, so no worries if he doesn't reply soon.

Andrew