repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Launched! Evaluation time

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] Launched! Evaluation time
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 23:07:55 -0500

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 21:57:17 -0400, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 17:34:15 -0400, Zak Rogoff, Free Software Foundation
> wrote:
> GitLab's evaluation has been completed for a while, but I'll be working
> with Sytse over the next few months on some of the issues.  Most
> recently, they agreed to have project deletion work without JavaScript
> enabled[0], which is the last of the essential functionality that I
> noted.  Their JavaScript is free[1], but this will allow GitLab to meet
> C0 in the meantime.
> [...]
> [0]: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/2485,
>      Staged for 8.1: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/milestones/14
> [1]: https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/

The JavaScript change to allow project deletion without JavaScript was
released on Oct 22nd:

  https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/blob/master/CHANGELOG#L64

This brings GitLab to a C grade (Acceptable hosting for a GNU
package).  I'll continue to work with GitLab on other issues, even if
they don't impact the letter grade.

One exciting change coming up around the 17th is the replacement of
Google Analytics with Piwik on their GitLab.com instance, which is a
huge win for user privacy (touched upon by B1).  It also eliminates the
only remaining non-free JS.  (All GitLab JS, including EE, is Free, but
not yet LibreJS-compatible).

Thanks, Sytse, and everyone else at GitLab that helped out!

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer