repo-criteria-discuss

Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] ban of flash

From: Marcos Marado
Subject: Re: [Repo-criteria-discuss] ban of flash
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 18:54:46 +0100

Hi there,

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Sandro Santilli <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've read the GNU ethical repository criteria and found point C1
> to be a bit misleading where it says "(thus, no Flash)", because
> a free software flash interpreter exists, and is actually a GNU
> package (and a priority project): http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash

While the explanation on point C1 is lacking (for reference: "No other
nonfree software is required to use the site (thus, no Flash)"), the fact
that Flash isn't an open standard makes it unacceptable for use in the
web context - no matter if the plugin itself is free software or not. The
Document Freedom Day website has a nice webpage on this matter,
which I recommend reading, specially the "What's wrong with Flash?"
section: http://documentfreedom.org/rmflash/about-flash.html

Best regards,
--
Marcos Marado