Re: Using rsync to disk on the system being backed up?

From: Eric Zolf
Subject: Re: Using rsync to disk on the system being backed up?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 06:42:18 +0100

Hi,

On 15/02/2023 23:09, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
Patch is only for text files, we're talking any kind of files, also binary
ones.
Ahh, ok.  I am concerned almost exclusively with text files -- will patch let
me retrieve old versions of text files?

Have a look at git, that sounds like a better approach to keep old versions of text files, and be able to retrieve them. But as I don't grok what you're exactly trying to do, my advice might be wrong.
Forget about rsync, this is confusing you.
Probably.  But is something like rsync being used to transfer the data to the
backup media, specifically if the backup media is connected to another
computer?

Is the rdiff-backup protocol/API something like rsync? I don't know why you care so I can't answer this question properly.
Short answer: no.

KR, Eric