Re: rdiff-backup

From: Yves Bellefeuille
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:26:05 -0500

Sorry for making two replies.

> I had a chat with my customer an hour ago: They want the most recent
> version and its immediate predecessor ("the two most recent version
of > any file") to be always available at any time.

If these are Office files, I suggest you use Office's own option: see
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/my-computer-keeps-making-backups-of-my-microsoft/79411263-08e6-4f7c-b67d-c75933513550
, but check the option rather than unchecking it. Then you can make
backups, if desired, using any system you want, not necessarily
rdiff-backup.

Note that what Office considers an "immediate predecessor" might not
be what the client wants. If you take a file made yesterday, change it
and save it, then make another change and save it two minutes later,
the immediate predecessor is the version that you made two minutes
ago, not the version made yesterday.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<yan@storm.ca>