Re: cross-platform backup tool First beta v2.1.2b1 release towards v2.2.

From: ewl+rdiffbackup
Subject: Re: cross-platform backup tool First beta v2.1.2b1 release towards v2.2.0
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 13:51:32 +0200

Hi Robert,

On 18/09/2022 01:59, Robert Nichols wrote:
The only issue I'm seeing with a v2.0.5 client and a v2.1.2b1 server is that you (obviously, in hindsight) have to be using a command line syntax that both versions understand, which is the old syntax. That means the client sees a lot of unavoidable "deprecated" warnings, and also that future removal of that old syntax from v2.1 will break compatibility with v2.0.

You shouldn't need to use the old syntax, as long as you use the API 200. With API 201, the server is called with the new syntax (rdiff-backup server ...), else (the default) it's called with the old syntax (rdiff-backup --server ...). If you observed something different, please create an issue. In any case, you can still put whatever you want in the remote schema.

And, yes, at some point in time, I'll remove all the old code and I'll be happy about it. It'll be called v3.0.0. Before that there will be a few more 2.x versions (no promise how many), API 201 will become the default, API 202+ might be introduced, etc... So still a few more steps to take before this happens.

And, with 2.1x, you have the placeholder Vx/Vy/Vz you can use in your remote schema so that you can point at a dedicated version of rdiff-backup without fear of incompatibility. The man-page explains it all.

So, yes, there is always a balance between new features, avoidance of technical debt, and stability of the interface(s), which isn't easy to get. I'm doing my best but appreciate feedback.

Hope this helps, thanks for testing,
Eric